Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Childhood lit once again

"Good evening, ma'am," Superman said, after rescuing another damsel in distress.

He has such impeccable manners. He has this old American charm about him. His deep blue eyes, soft personality, gentle manners can almost transport us to the old America days where traditional values and etiquette still held sway all over.

And, he has one heck of a tough body. Imagine, all those bullets ricocheting off his chest, when earlier those rounds had ripped apart those hapless police cars. Anyway, the police and their cars frequently get trounced in Hollwood movies. I don't think the real police guys are keen on having their reputation smashed in those movies.

Anyway, I had another lovely evening with my lovely wife. I had just finished coaching the boys in a match at Clementi Sports Hall. Rushed down to Marina Square, played a bit of hide and seek with my wife, before we skipped merrily to the box office to get a couple-seat for the movie. I was really keen on the movie, especially as I still fondly remember watching the original Superman movies (starring the handsome Christopher Reeve). Superman really was a big thing in my childhood. The values he stood for, his humane nature (even though he was really an alien), and his unwavering courage were really admirable.

My wife flashed out this bun from Bread Talk and asked me if I wanted to eat chilli crab. I said, "Huh?" and she wasn't joking. She pulled apart the bun wrapper and revealed a crab - actually it's a bun in the shape of a crab. Really funny. It gets better once you sink your teeth into it. You taste chilli crab. We had a good laugh. At least we didn't have to peel off any shells.

Anyway, talking about Superman and comic book heroes, I have to say that this has been a good year for me. I've managed to catch Superman Returns, The Fantastic Four (on DVD), and X-Men: The Final Stand and I must say I'm really pleased. Makes me want to take out those action figues I still keep in my musty old cupboard and play with them all over again.

Reliving childhood days can actually achieve something remarkable in you - it can energise you and renew your youth. Yes, of course we do get on in terms of age every year, but we certainly can do ourselves a huge favour if we can still keep that child in us in a large corner in our hearts. I think we could all do with a little bit more child-like innocence and easy laughter in our lives. Oh get away from me Cynicism, Pessimism and Indifference!

2 comments:

jan said...

mr ng! janelle here. it's X-MEN: the LAST stand. not the final stand. hahas!! i htink your wife is really funny! chilli crab.. hahas!!!

Rach.H ♥ Home-Fix said...

Mr Ng, it is good to have your mindset still young while u are growing old. Which Bread Talk store did she bought the chilli crab in? I also want to buy...