Sunday, February 04, 2007

About indifference

Now at: Gelare Café, Suntec City
Currently listening to: Chicago’s You Come To My Senses


A woman walked past me, pushing a trolley laden with shopping, just outside Carrefour, at Suntec City.

The next thing, coins hit the tiled floor noisily, and coins scurried away in all directions. Some of the coins rolled to me and collapsed flat. She hurriedly picked it up. I picked up for her too, wherever I could see. It was natural to give her a hand. She had dropped her coins.

But what dismayed me was, so many other people walked past her, indifferent to her plight. Some looked at her, and just walked on.

Why didn’t they stop to help?

I passed her the coins. She thanked me gratefully.




Are we becoming a society that lacks the natural instinct to help a fellow neighbour?

Seeing such unsympathetic people around me makes me even more determined and resolute in imparting and cultivating a spirit of care and helpfulness in all my students.

We cannot look at other people’s plight and not help, when we are able to. This is just not right.

No comments: