Saturday, July 14, 2007

About going for hours without the ability to speak

For once, I think I came close towards greater understanding with mute people.

Actually, being able to speak and express our thoughts is something that I have been taking for granted.

But that ability left me, since yesterday.

It's all due to a 'cold', according to what a doctor told me.

From body & headaches, the symptoms have now moved on to my throat.

Yesterday, my voice was still fine, during the PE lesson with 4e5.

We were having soccer, and the lesson was going well. It's great to see the boys having a game of their own.

But it's absolutely brilliant to see the girls in my class playing soccer.

Really excellent.

As usual, my soccer lessons always end off with a bout of penalty kicks.

Penalty kicks are a good way to test a person's ability to handle massive stress levels, and I want to expose my students to such situations in school. And you know what? Sports provide excellent situations that can teach vital lessons to individuals, that may very well prove useful in adult life.

Hence the penalty kicks.

The best moment for me, was when Ezuin literally dived to save a penalty kick that was going in. Amazing save. Well done!



After that, it's all downhill from there. My voice progressively lost its strength.

In the afternoon's basketball match between my team and Unity, I really needed my voice, but to no avail. I had lost it!

Today was no better.

I had a game of indoor soccer at The Cage, and as usual I played as a goalkeeper. But, for today, I was a very silent goalkeeper! Mr Kelvin Ong was trying to have a conversation with me but it looked more like a monologue to others, because only one person was doing all the talking!



Finally, during lunchtime, I wanted to order a plate of fried rice at my favourite stall in the hawker centre near where I live.

The friendly auntie at the stall realised that I was mouthing words, and told me not to eat fried rice, and suggested hor fun instead. Sounds good to me so I mouthed 'ok' to her.

Best part was, just as I was about to pay up for the food, she thrust a packet of home-made barley into my hand. She said, 'For you, teacher. You need it! Too heaty!'



I must say, it's truly a blessing to be blessed and I am glad for people like auntie.

She was really generous. The packet of barley was enough to fill two big glasses.



So what I learned from her gesture was that I should be more kind and generous. I need to be able to lend a helping hand, without any hesitation at all.



Enjoy the weekend!

No comments: