Monday, July 09, 2007

About staying confident, even against impossible odds

While our first-round draw of the West Zone Basketball tournament has been very kind to us, the same cannot be said of the second round draw.

That we are meeting some big boys at this stage of the competition is not a complete surprise to me.


Earlier in the aftenoon, I rushed down from school to Clementi Sports Hall, only to find that the draw for the second round had already started.

I was momentarily stunned when Fajar was drawn into a group that ostentatiously look very very competitive.

The next moment, I walked off and focussed my mind on preparing my players for the expected onslaught of matches coming up.

Over the next 9 days, they will face a punishing schedule of playing 5 demanding matches.




To be real honest, I really do not give a damn who we play against.

We've trained so hard. The coach has been deeply committed to the team. I've sacrificed my precious holidays. We didn't spend all our time and money to prepare our boys to play kids' basketball.


With all our investment in the talent that Fajar is endowed with, we expect our players to remain supremely confident in their team's ability and strengths.




I need to see my players remained unfazed, even when they know that they are playing against the strongest teams in the region.

It's all very simple: the pressure is on the other team's teacher, coach and players. They are expected to beat us.

In such situations, it can be a slippery slope for even the strongest teams, for then the moment becomes ripe for us - lesser known teams - to cause a major upset.

I want my players to capitalise on this, and snatch a victory or two against the big guns!



For this to happen, every single player of my school team must retain an unshakeable self-belief in themselves and in the team.

They must speak confidently. They must quash all talk of negativity and shut the mouths of people who preach hopelessness.

We do not need negative people!



What we need to do is to stay utterly positive. We must play to our strengths. It is all down to the 12 players and the other CCA members, including the seniors.

What can you do or say to raise up their confidence level?




I know what I think and what I believe.


I believe in every single one of my players.

They can do it. The strength and confidence is found within each individual player.




The Second Round is here, folks. We're in the Top 12 of the Zone.

Face every match confidently. Relish the prospect of playing against the very best.

We will only get better, each time we play against a champion team, like how iron sharpens iron.

Go for it and play the matches with no regrets!

No comments: