Sunday, July 29, 2007

About that good ol' familiar rush of adrenaline

All morning, I was throbbing with anticipation.

I got up at 6, and went about preparing my personal equipment. Bicycle - checked. Number tags - checked. Goggles - checked. Running shoes & socks - checked. Oakley shades - checked. Bicycle helmet - checked.

Bearing a backpack, I walked with my trusty bicycle to the food centre just next to my block, to have a breakfast with some mates and their wives.

Altogether, there were three of us who were going to cycle down to East Coast Park's start point for the Osim Singapore Triathlon's Sprint Event - 750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.

While eating, we took the permanent markers that were provided in the race pack, to write our 4-digit race tag numbers on our arms and legs. Some of the elderly folk saw us writing our 4-digit numbers, and gleefully told us that they would be buying our numbers for the weekend's 4-D draw. Hilarious.

I realised that it took me a while to figure out how to write '2' and '5' on my legs, while standing - I got it wrong the first time round and had to seek help from my mates!





Once we reached the start point, near the famous food centre, there was already a frenzy - the morning races (for the kids' triathlon and the mini triathlon) had already started and there were so many participants scampering from the sea (after completing the swim leg) to collect their bicycles at the transition area. Some were completing their cycling leg and were rushing to park their bicycles before heading out to the running route.

It was all very new, very exciting, and very fun - after all, it's my first triathlon!



Anyway, we proceeded to the transition area - this huge grass patch that was guarded by security. Bicycle racks lined up within this transition area, and we were only permitted to enter when we showed our wrist bands (bearing our names and number tags) so that we could park our bicycles and personal belongings.

I learnt from my mate (who took part in the 2006 edition) that it's important to lay out your running shoes, shirt, shades, and helmet conveniently, so that minimal time is wasted once you enter the transition area after emerging from the sea. Once you get to your bike, you'd have to get into the cycling gear quickly before moving out of the transition area onto the cycling route.



After some high-fives of good luck, we stepped into the start point area on the beach, right before the sea. The starter, obviously an Aussie, was cracking all sorts of jokes, and he sure made all of us feel less nervous. Right before us, we could clearly see the swimming route - a triangular route that was patrolled by safety kayaks. I could not recall the last time I swam in the pool, and here I was, embarking on a competitive swim in the sea. Well done, I thought.




When the air-horn went off, all of us crashed into the sea, and some started pounding freestyle while some kicked the breaststroke.

It was pandemonium. It was difficult to find any space at all to do a proper stroke. Breaststroke is my best stroke but there were times I thought I kicked somebody behind me, and there were also times when my arms were kicked by swimmers in front. And then there were some clowns who simple barged into us and steamrolled on.

Even with goggles, it was impossible to see anything underneath. To be sure I was not swept away by the sea current, I had to keep my head up regularly, so that I could see the ropes that demarcated the route.

It was mayhem at the turning point. Everybody wanted to stick as close as possible to the buoy (for obvious reasons) and that was where I thought the most kicks took place underwater. It took me a while to get away from the turning point, and once I got some distance away, it became easier as the swimmers spread out again.

It took me just over 25 minutes to reach the beach again. I still had plenty of energy even though I felt the slight pangs of cramp in my calves. I was just thankful I cleared the most difficult leg. The cycling leg would be much easier.

Jogging into the transition area, I took record time to put on my shirt, my running shoes, helmet, and even managed a big gulp of water, before running out with my bike to the bicycle route. Once there, I mounted the bicycle, and off I went!

It's the same good old single-speed bike so it couldn't go very fast. But it's fine with me. The 20km cycling took us past the PA Sea Sports Centre, OBS, National Sailing Centre, to the very end near Changi Coast, before there was a U-turn back to the start point. We had to do 2 laps, and that took me about an hour of non-stop cycling.



Once I reached the transition area again, I dismounted and ran with my bike to the bicycle rack, parked the bike, drank water, and went off to the 5km running route.

I was telling myself, 'Keep going baby, it's only 5km, thank God,' and I was still in high spirits. Yea, by then, I was quite tired, of course, but running's never been a problem for me and I knew finishing this triathlon would never be in doubt.




The running route took us in the other direction, past the lake, the seafood restaurants, the chalets, fitness corner, before making the U-turn at the old tennis courts.

Halfway through, the skies poured and I've never felt so free, so liberated, so refreshed, as I revelled in the heavy rain. It made the run easier even though all of us who were running were soaking wet.

I've never felt so good, after crossing the finishing line after 2 hours of non-stop action. I remember clenching my fist in victory. I made sure I looked good for the photographers at the end line!


After collecting the finisher's medal, I met up with my friends at the end line. They were waiting for me already (they had much faster bikes than mine!) and to my shock, 2 of them said that they were forced to stop their run midway, due to lightning! So they did not actually complete the full triathlon. I felt sorry for them but they were still in high spirits even though they must have felt disappointed deep inside.


From there, it was quite an arduous trip back home, cycling with aching quadricep muscles back to my home.

It has been a fantastic experience for me. It was challenging (especially swimming in the sea) but wow, finishing the race was absolutely satisfying. Oh, that triumphant feeling! Feels exactly the same when I finished my first marathon. Yummy!





My shoulder's still aching from all that swimming, but the bigger headache for me now is that I have to set aside some time to scrub my bicycle - all the mud and dirt. I'm just so tempted to take the shower head and wash the whole bike! Yes, it is that dirty!

1 comment:

Eaststopper said...

Congrats to completing your first triathlon. See you in a week's time.