Thursday, November 15, 2007

About graduation

Thanks for the memories, 4e5 and the graduating students of 4E4NA4NT5N.



It was great to see so many of you come for Graduation Day, in spite of the wet weather. I think it's a good idea to come for a graduation event (even if it's not a prom night) because it is a rite of passage, a necessary piece of a teenager's adolescence years. It marks the start of young adulthood - of greater responsibilities, and more opportunities to make bigger decisions independently.

It was fantastic when some of you came up to speak to me. Thank you for your kind words.


I want to thank you too, for being having a heart to serve and to lead, to have a heart to learn and to be taught. You have all grown up right before my eyes!






So Graduation Day, for me, is a bittersweet affair. Sweet, because naturally I am proud of you all, that you've come so far, and will be embarking on the next stage of your lives; bitter, because I know I am going to miss those times we've talked and chatted with each other. I will miss teaching you all PE and English. I will miss seeing you all eating and chatting happily, when I make my rounds around the canteen next year.




To 4e5, I hope to receive 40 wedding invites from you all, a few years from now! When your baby is one month old, throw a party and get all of us together!



To my beloved 4e5 and to the graduated students, take good care. Remember to have a vision of your future. Think big. Get onto the shoulders of giants (successful people). Stay away from lazy and corrupt people. Be persistent. Be anchored on the right values (sincere, kind, generous, hardworking, honest, faithful etc).


You will then go far in life.



Of course, even though you've graduated, we still can keep in touch, isn't it!



"To laugh often and much,
to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children,
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and
endure the betrayal of false friends,
to find the best in others,
to leave the world a bit better,
to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded!" - Emerson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello mr ng! so sorry i couldn't stay back afer grad. ceremony to talk to you. had something on. anyways, thanks so so so so much for teaching me since sec 3 and cultivating in me a likeness for sports in p.e classes. you never fail to motivate me and make me want to go further in life whenever i star slacking. thanks for encouraging me when i had issues going on in my family :) really thank God for having a teacher like you in my life. God bless!

p.s: before all of the 40 invites you'll get when we our future babies turn a month old, we'll also be expecting one from you next year when mrs ng gives birth! :D hee hee.

The Mighty Thor said...

Hi Jan,
thanks for your kind words. I would like to thank you for being such a delight to teach and to talk to. You've always been reliable and actually you being able to laugh easily is a blessing so keep it up. And yes, I look forward to multiple 4e5 reunions in the future. Happy working and keep in touch!