Saturday, August 26, 2006

Enthusiasm that inspires

Kudos to the girls and boys that turned up for the West Zone Sports Carnival training cum selection trials.

My ever-reliable Zhi Cheng, Shuan and Derek ably trained 4 Sec 1 boys and led them through a series of basketball drills and games. I knew these juniors would be in good hands.

Thanks to the dependable Prakash and Azzrul, who led the Sec 2 Soccer boys through their paces and I could see that you both did a fantastic job.

Concurrently, I was at the parade square, and I was pleased to see a good number of enthusiastic Sec 1 and 2 ladies, who could not wait to get onto the court and have a go at Captain's Ball.

My objective was simple: I had to select 2 teams, each team consisting of 10 Sec 1 and Sec 2 players. I needed to spot players who knew how to run into space to receive the pass, and players who could catch and pass the ball well.

It wasn't very easy. Many of the girls, especially the Sec 2s, tried their best, and little separated one from the other in terms of skill.

I could not fault them for lack of effort. In fact, I was proud of them, every single one of them who turned up.

They came on time, were splendid examples of sportswomen (they helped each other up, shook hands, and played the game well), and were very cooperative.

More significantly, they played on, in spite of the merciless rays of the sun, which bore down upon us without any respite.

Through a series of games with each other, I identified those who not only possessed the qualities I was looking for, but also exhibited greater speed, quicker movement, accurate passing, and keen awareness of space and opponents.

Throughout the selection trial, I was capably assisted by Sandra and Cailing, who helped me to take down the particulars of the players and monitored the time. I was very thankful for their help, and meant that I could fully concentrate on my task.

Once the 2 teams had been finalised, I felt it was necessary, first and foremost, to express my thanks for these girls' tremendous energy and effervesence.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. They were really excellent students.

Keep up that sporty spirit, whereever you go!



Even as the girls were dismissed, I was still not done yet. My basketball boys were having training at the basketball court. Now, it wasn't just a routine training. In fact, it was a special 'farewell' training session for the coach.

Over a year and a half ago, I had engaged Hui Soon to do full-time coaching for our Fajar basketball team.

He brought with him a strong sense of discipline, effective communication, and an uncompromising emphasis on mental resilience and physical fitness - qualities which aligned with my beliefs and vision for the Basketball team.

It is of utmost importance that I find a coach who meets the needs of the School and is able to work under my guidance and management of the Basketball CCA. I am not necessarily looking for a tried-and-tested coach who might have won accolades before; nor a coach with extensive coaching credentials.

Nay.

My eye is on coaches who are positive role models and living examples of good sportsmen, who believe in character building and living a balanced lifestyle between studies and sports.

It is that simple.

If a coach doesn't meet those criteria, I won't employ him.

But over time, Hui Soon has proven that he is a no-nonsense coach, who commands the attention of the boys. Above all, he has shown committment to the School and has gone beyond the call of duty to assist the School when we approached him.

So, a big 'Thank you' to you, Hui Soon.

I hope you found the farewell training session special and memorable. I am sure that you have left an indelible and positive memory in the memories of the boys whom you've coached.


By the time I dismissed the boys, it was already past 5. Only then, when the frenetic pace of the afternoon's activities had at last died down, did I feel the groans of my physical body. I felt the waves of fatigue rushing through me.

I lumbered back to the Staff Room. I sank onto my chair and rested a while.

My colleague, Ms Adelene Lee, who sits next to me, looked at me and said,

"Ken, you're burnt!"

Right.

No comments: