Sunday, August 27, 2006

Triumphant at the finish line

It was a job well done.

At 5.30am, the 21km Army Half-Marathon Men's Open kicked off, from the Esplanade bridge.

I had arrived at the Esplanade at 5.15am, sharing a taxi with CJ, a friend of mine who lives in the next block. He was taking part in the 21km non-competitive event, which started slightly later at 5.45am. Before I headed for the start line, we wished each other all the best and I promised that I would wait for him at the finish line with a drink for him.

The route included Shenton Way, East Coast Parkway (including up the Benjamin Sheares Bridge with its sweeping picturesque view of the city), East Coast beach jogging path, Mountabatten Road, Nicoll Highway, Middle Road (past Bugis), Orchard Road, Clemenceau Avenue, Havelock Road, Outram Road, Neil Road, South Bridge Road, and ended at the Padang.

All in all, I took 2:25 hours, based on my wristwatch timing.

I felt good throughout the race, and the early morning air was refreshingly cool.

As dawn broke, I maintained my pace, and hit the 10km mark at just over an hour.

My personal targets for the race was simple. Firstly, I targeted a finish time of 2:30 or faster; secondly, non-stop running, NO walking; and finally, I've got to enjoy the race.

At the 20km mark, insidious cramps crept up my left thigh muscle, threatening to derail my targets.

But I could not even contemplate stopping to stretch and ease the cramps, not when the finish line was well within my grasp.

I prayed, and mentally ordered the cramp to get lost.

I continued my relentless pace, pushing on, oblivious to the nagging cramp.

Within a minute or two, the cramp dissipated. Once this was overcome, within a matter of minutes, I turned into the road and there it was, the finish line, right ahead of me.

My fatigued legs were briefly overwhelmed by a surge of exuberence and pride, as I skipped over the end point.

Elated, I slowly got my breath back, and gulped down a can of 100-Plus which I had purchased from the makeshift drink stall at the side of the road. All this while, I remembered the promise I had made, and got another can of 100-Plus.

I moved near the finish line, scanning at the numberless faces of runners zipping past me, hoping to spot CJ.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, and there he was. We gave each other a firm high-five and passed him the drink.

"Hey you remembered," he told me, half in jest, with a tinge of gratitude.

After a warm-down, we headed to the taxi stand, hopped into a cab, and headed for home.

As I bid farewell to him and went our separate ways, I wondered where could I have lunch with my lovely wife, who was waiting at home for me.

To my delight, my wife had prepared a beautiful meal of noodle soup for me, complete with greens and plenty of bee hoon.

Man, I feel so blessed.

1 comment:

HuatieBoy said...

yo dude! Check out your AHM pics at this link! I think you can purchase the pictures if you want it too. Cheers!

http://www.digilab.com.sg/cgi-bin/search9/locatepics/search.pl?q=UNIDENT+QNFABBBK&stype=AND&t=161&s=N&stpos=0