Saturday, August 05, 2006

It's not about the hair, really.

It wasn't that difficult.

Something deep inside told me that it was only the right thing to do.

And if I can make a difference to somebody, I would do it.

And so, on Sunday, I allowed my head to be shaved at the Children's Cancer Foundation's charity event that was held at Suntec City's basement, right next to the Fountain of Wealth.

I have to be frank, I could not wait to head to the nearest mirror to see my shaven head once the shave was done!

And that was what I did. I could hardly stifle an outburst of laughter when I caught myself at the mirror. Memories of my National Service days came surging back into my mind.

Nevertheless, my heart goes out to the children afflicted with the terrible disease. I know that my gesture can and will mean a lot - because to change the world and make it better, it starts with myself.

And I will do it again, to support the needy.

On a more recent note, I think the Peer Leaders have put in a solid and reliable performance at yesterday's West Zone Schools Sports Meeting.

It was reassuring when I saw Zi Hui, Hawa and Faridah steadfastly greeting every guest that walked past them; while I felt admiration for the hard work put in by Edward, Aslam, Teck Sheng and Faizal, who personally welcomed every drive-in and walk-in guest who entered our school, in spite of the withering heat.

I knew the Meeting would run well with Jiahao ever-ready to work with urgent instructions; I felt confident when Azzrul looked at me, as I walked past, with a thumbs-up and a grin.

I knew the guests would feel right at home with Amanda and her lovely smile. I knew every guest would not lack their all-important Meeting notes with Liyana, Carlyn, Farhan and Jasmine feverishly and effectively arranging the notes for over 50 schools.

I knew the guests would have the memory of a pleasant conversation with a Peer Leader, when Hazimah shared with me about her conversation with one of them. I was filled with inspiration at the sight of Jasman and Huiying managing the buffet table and the drink counter, servicing the guests like seasoned operators.

My heartfelt appreciation goes out to Vivien and Terence, whose sound management of the PA system meant that the Meeting could be conducted without any hitches.

Finally, for lack of words, I can only say 'Thank you' to Mrs Lim Chee Chin and Mr Koh who expertly handled the technical aspect of the Meeting.

Every act, no matter how little, doesn't go unnoticed. Every little act of warmth or a word of kindness touches hearts and the goodness multiplies.

Doing things to serve ourselves is both short-sighted and ultimately meaningless.

Serving others faithfully and sincerely, on the other hand, benefits both the giver and the recipient, and allows the giver to thrive and be enriched even more.

Through this Meeting, I have seen how our School is blessed with a group of dedicated teachers and enthusiastic Peer Leaders who serve our alma mater with a willing heart, and I am comforted.

No comments: