Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Melting pot of joy, relief and heartbreak

I extended my hand to Weena, and said to her, "Congratulations. See you next year."

How I wish I could say that to every student in 4A1.





Collecting any exam results is always a huge day in any student's calendar. Yesterday was no exception, when the N Level results were released.

So, as me and my colleague issued out the result slips to students individually, some students yelped with joy. Some remained stoic, while some had eyes that turned glassy. Their countenances told it all about the kind of results they received.






The hall was almost empty now. Sitting on the floor were some students, consoling those who were still visibly upset over their results. Some were from my class.

I sat down next to them, and didn't speak a word. I didn't know what to say but I wanted to show them support just by being there.

Later one of them shared about her fear of her parents' reaction if she told them her result. I understood how she felt. I've been there before.

So I got her Dad's number, and spoke to him. Essentially, I told the dad about his daughter's results and asked him to go easy on her when she got home later.

Surprisingly, when I revealed her daughter's results to him, the dad said to me,"It's ok. I'm sure she did her best."

So, after our conversation ended, I went over to my student and told her what her dad said. She heaved a sigh of relief, with a tinge of disbelief in it too.

When she smiled, I smiled with her.





Poor exam results need not always spell doom and gloom. On the other hand, it's a pity how some brash youths, belittling sound advice from others, sometimes learn only after they make a mistake.

Some of them lamented to me, "If only I had studied hard," or "If only I had listened to my teachers in class."





Although not all of my students in 4A1, or even 4A2 and 4A3 (all whom I have taught before) will be returning to Fajar on the first day of school, I would like to wish all these students all the best. With a positive attitude and hard work, you will prosper in all that you do.

To those folks who are returning to Fajar, it'll be great if I can teach you again in 2007. Enjoy the holidays!

1 comment:

The Mighty Thor said...

hoyuken17@hotmail.com