Saturday, April 21, 2007

About my boys

It's been almost 5 years since I took over the helm of Basketball CCA.

Before I stepped in, Basketball CCA then (in the early 2000s) consisted of rag-tag, scruffy boys. Training was not monitored, players came as they wished, and they produced no results, save for one year when they reached the last 4 of the Zone tournament. Many of them turned up for training in slippers.

As soon as I took over, it was very clear to me: I had to get rid of the ah-beng culture. I had to tighten so many things. I implemented a slew of changes, centralising control back to the Teacher, changing the coach, developing team spirit, and emphasising the essence of commitment and loyalty to the School.

The Basketball CCA today is much better. Departed coaches have always commented to me that our Fajar team is so much more disciplined and teachable than some schools they knew.

I am also concerned about the fact that our CCA has not produced any results yet. We are not consistent. Yes, we have improved by leaps and bounds in how we have run the CCA. Coaches are closely monitored and evaluated. Players' attendance records are closely tracked. Recognition - in the form of awards and wearing school colours in competitions - is duly given.

An immediate area I need to see more and more is the area of student leadership - capable ones who put the School's interests first. It would be marvellous if I have many Peer Leaders, Prefects, and/ or Class Committee members in our midst.

For this to happen, basketball players must have ambition - the ambition for personal development. Basketball alone cannot provide this. Only by being involved in school events, leadership camps, daily duties - these will strengthen the mettle within each player and allow them to unleash their potential.



I admire my basketball boys. They have an unquenchable love for the sport. This is really excellent, because the constant practice improves their confidence, but it will not necessarily improve their skills.

For their skills to improve, every player must remember and apply the coach's advice and teaching points towards them.




If there's an area that my basketballers needs to improve on, it's their ability to be considered a true all-rounded student.

Don't get me wrong. Their passion for basketball cannot be questioned.

But critically, my general observation (which many of my colleagues agree with) is that these players are sacrificing valuable time to play basketball, when they should actually be studying for the all-important Mid Year Examinations.

Players, I need you to think very clearly - a good basketballer trains very hard during training, and also does his schoolwork on time, pays attention in class, and is gentlemanly to others.

Do you not realise that you cannot study when you're so tired, after playing the sport every other day, if not every day?

Why play so much, when the exams are so near?

Your examinations are far far more important than basketball.

Your examinations determine your future. Basketball doesn't.




If my players produce good results in their tests and examinations consistently, I would gladly call them true all-rounders.

Mixing sport and studies (and excelling in both) is a key life-skill that my players must work on.



Guys - it's time to put away the basketball.

It's time to study.





My life as a Teacher in Fajar is closely intertwined with Basketball. I will continue to do my best for them. They deserve it. They are all boys with massive potential in them.

My vision for these boys is that they become very good in their studies, develop into skilful players, and serve the School as student leaders with a spirit of humility and joy.

If I do leave Fajar, in the near future or in the distant (one never knows for sure), starting my life elsewhere will not be same. I know I will miss Basketball trainings.

No comments: