Friday, April 20, 2007

About her smouldering dreams

I was walking across the general office lobby area when I came across this student who had just finished her afternoon lessons.

She greeted me, and naturally, I returned the greeting warmly, and I stood there and had a conversation with her.

I asked her about her CA1 results. She shared that her results were quite decent - all passes except for one subject. She added that this time round, she has made a vast improvement compared to previous performances.

But what got me really engaged was her reply, when I went on to ask her if her parents allowed her to continue playing in her favourite sport, netball.

She had told me previously that she struggled to comply with her parents' strict objection to her playing netball, citing reasons like major examinations in her graduating year.

I had advised her to work very hard for her CA1, and if she succeeded, her good results might serve to persuade her parents to soften their stance and allow her to continue the netball club training.

Unfortunately, in spite of her decent results, her parents were still adamant and refused to change their mind.

As she spoke to me, her words were lined with sadness, melancholy and resignation.

I really wished I could help, but the sobering reality is that this is an internal family matter and the School cannot interfere.

I have the pleasure of knowing this student and to be frank, I really think she's a good student. Like so many other likeable Fajarians, she's humble, down-to-earth, sporty and affable.





We didn't talk for long. But I'm glad I took the opportunity to have a few words with her. I know she dearly loves her sport and it must be very hard for her to be deprived from playing in her favourite sport.

I do hope that things will get better for her, and I wish that her old, bubbly self will return.

No comments: