Saturday, April 14, 2007

About my sporty Basketballers and the spontaneous Dancers

Currently in: Pacific Coffee Company, Parkway Parade
Currently listening to: Stone Temple Pilots' Interstate Love Song



Again, it poured.

That meant that we could not commence our annual B Boys Basketball Free-Throw Shooting competition.

I knew my boys were all geared up for it. So was I!

Nonetheless, being the sports-loving bunch that we all are, we proceeded to the Hall, where the Dance Club members were busy practicing their routine for the SYF competition.

I figured that since there was a thunderstorm outside, I might as well have a captain’s ball game with the boys.

Still, I thought I should consult with their beautiful teacher in-charge and check with her if it’s ok to use the far side of the Hall for our game. I certainly did not want to interrupt their dance practice.

She agreed, though she warned me cheekily that the ball must never hit one of her girls. That’s quite a challenge so I instructed my boys go after any loose ball that might threaten to go anywhere near to the dancers!

I also told my boys that we’ll stop the game whenever the dancers get into formation to rehearse their routine. I think everybody in Basketball CCA is very willing to support the dancers.

Moments later , the dancers, in their lovely polite selves, greeted me. So I told the boys to return the warm greetings to their teacher in-charge and say, “GOOD AFTERNOON MS YONG”, and also to say to the dancers, “TRAIN HARD, GIRLS.”

It’s hilarious. The boys stood in the straight line, facing the teacher and the dancers who were at the opposite end of the Hall, and managed to pull off the greeting to the Teacher, but made quite a mess about the second part.

The girls giggled in puzzlement at the apparent mumblings and my boys were quickly reshaping themselves to repeat their words.

Before they could do so, the dancers chorused back, “WHAT?” to us.

Needless to say my boys were quite embarrassed and some were quite bewildered at what to do next!

And before my players could make any more moves, the girls then said, in unison, “GOOD AFTERNOON BOYS,” at which my boys stood up straight again and, for the first time, managed to talk coherently to the girls. They greeted back to them, “GOOD AFTERNOON GIRLS!”



I chuckled. Fajar’s dancers are quite spontaneous. My boys could do with a little bit of that!



We managed to have quite an enjoyable game in the Hall. The elegant softballers and Mr Maran joined us for the game. At 5pm, we dashed to the basketball court to start the free throw competition.

It was nail-biting at times and my boys put up outstanding individual performances. It’s very clear: this competition will remind the players about the importance of having the correct technique in skills. Those with consistently good technique will always score better than those who don’t.

Secondly, and more importantly, this competition will teach the players about how to handle the pressure of shooting the ball into the basket. That requires the ability to focus on the basket and to shut out the peripheral noises and sounds from around. By staying cool and controlling anxiety, a player will definitely perform at a consistently higher standard than someone who is easily distracted and is not focused.






By the time I left school at 7.30pm, it was already quite dark. The school was empty now, except for some colleagues who were waiting for me. We planned to have our dinner at Holland Village.

I felt good. I think Friday was a very satisfying day for me.

It must be because of the students in Fajar.

And, to my boys’ credit, not once did the ball hit the dancers while we were playing in the Hall. The Dance teacher will be pleased to know that!

No comments: