Wednesday, May 16, 2007

About irresistable yet expensive toys

Last week I went on a mad splurge.

For the longest time my hands have been itching to spend on gadgets. So many times I have been tempted to get that red ipod Nano. That Tivoli DAB radio at Tangs looks irresistable. The soon-to-be launched Bluetooth Sony DVD Micro Hifi looks tailor-made for my apartment.

It's taken all my willpower to restrain myself. Sometimes when I am seemingly overpowered by the spending urges, my wife would bring me back to earth by asking, "Do we really need it?"

The answer would be a no and that would be the end of the struggle.

It's not that I need anyone's permission to buy things, but you know, it's actually very wise to have someone who can be very rational in the money matters in life.

Just as my missus curbs my lust for electronic gadgets, I also do my part and return the favour too.

Like, whenever she comes home with a new pair of shoes or new clothes, sometimes I'd ask in jest, "Do we still have space?"

At times she would answer with a glare.



Anyway I am proud to announce to myself that my wife and I are the proud owners of a powerful digital camera - the Canon Ixus 850IS. That cost quite a bit! It has a host of advanced features such as a beautiful large LCD screen and a superb 7.1MP worth of power. I have to say a huge thanks to my beloved Uncle Vincent who works at Cathay Photo Pte Ltd. He gave me an unbelievable discount that was absolutely unbeatable.

Then a couple of days later, a Sony catalogue found its way into my postbox. Gleefully I browsed through this book and literally salivated at all those Sony products - the VAIO notebooks, the gorgeous LCD TVs, the earphones. Everything looks so good. Darn!

But what arrested my attention was this new Sony MP3 walkman. It comes in 5 ravishing colours, in the right size, at the right price, with the right features.

On the very same day, I headed straight to Harvey Norman West Mall, and went for the Black 4GB Sony MP3 player. It is the size of a USB thumb-drive but it will be a perfect companion when I resume my regular runs.



All in all, I am mightily pleased with my conquests but I am not satiated yet. That usually spells trouble. That means, if I ever land myself in those electronic stores again, and happen to lay my eyes on that Sony DVD Micro hifi (when it arrives into our shores in a fortnight's time), I might be overwhelmed with lust again and find myself lugging home a new set.



I wonder what my missus would say to me if that happens?

No comments: