Thursday, June 28, 2007

About hot buffalo wings

It's been a sensational couple of weeks so far.

Each day, I look forward to putting on my army No. 4, meeting my fellow officers, meeting and planning, setting directions for the battalion.

It helps that we have a group of officers who gel together. There is a good mix of youth and experience. We are led by some veteran NSmen. They have served many in-camp trainings and have a wealth of experience. Just being with them gives me a great opportunity to learn from them in the ways of management, leading, and blazing the trail forward.

There's also a good number of young officers, many who are still pursuing their studies in the various universities. They are enthusiastic, bright and keen.

Where do I stand? I think I'm in the middle! I've done more in-camp trainings than the young officers but far less than the veterans. For example, my direct superior, who is in charge of recruitment in an international insurance company, has done about close to 8 in-camp trainings.


Today, we were able to finish our training early, so a few of us decided to head to a secluded area of Seletar Camp to have our dinner. We had heard of this restaurant located in the Youth Flying Club that serves really good buffalo wings. So we herded ourselves into our cars and drove to that eatery.

And so, we glanced through the menu and were perplexed by the different 'levels' of buffalo wings that were available. So we clarified with the waitress what those 'levels' meant.

She laughed and said, 'The levels represent the different intensities of the chillies in the wings.'

Ah.

There was Level 1 up to Level 20. And then there was the 'Chef's Challenge'.

We discussed amongst ourselves and the bravado in us almost went to our heads. Our boss said he wanted to go for the 'Chef's Challenge'. I concurred with him, confident in my ability to tolerate even the most spicy chilli.

I can finish numerous chilli padis in a single dish without blinking.



Anyway, we decided to take it slow and start safe by ordering Level 2.

The wings came and we ate them without any major problems. The wings tasted a little salty, but otherwise we were good to go to the next stage.

The waiter then delivered Level 4 buffalo wings.

This time, one of the officers started downing cup after cup of ice water. We were all laughing at him.

But he, being brave and all, said he would go up to the next level.



While waiting for the Level 6 chicken wings to arrive, all of us were breaking out in perspiration already.

Even at Level 4 the burning sensation was radiating through our skin.

It was mad. My superior starting imploring the waitress to turn up the power of the air-conditioning.

The waitress chided him gleefully, saying that the air-condition was working perfectly well, and that it's him who can't take chilli! But she was kind enough to bring a fan and turn it on.

I was still doing very well. Our boss kept muttering, 'Let's go for the Chef's Challenge, everyone!'

Nobody took any heed of his words. They were all too busy wiping their foreheads and fanning themselves.

Level 6 buffalo wings finally arrived.

This time, I took the wings apart and ate it, thinking that it'll be a piece of cake.



It's strange how some food can have a delayed effect on your tastebuds.

After finishing that wing, my tongue started to burn.



I've never ever ever had that sensation before. Not for as long as I can remember!

I looked desperately for the iced water. I think I downed 3 full glasses of it, just to quench the invisible fire that was melting my tongue.

The officers around me were like trying to put out the fire in their mouths after they finished their wings. Apparently we almost had an emergency at our table.

It was extremely hilarious and completely unbecoming of a SAF officer. C'mon, we're supposed to be cool and in control.

The only person who still remained cool was our boss. He HARDLY took a sip of water, even though he had also finished his wings. Amazing.

He offered to order Level 8 but we waved our hands at him frantically.

Needless to say, they were all drenched in perspiration now.

Even for me, I think I had reached the threshold of my chilli tolerance. It was utterly hot. Even though I didn't perspire that much, my stomach felt as if it was being baked in an oven. An unending heat was engulfing my tummy from within!

Our boss had a good laugh at all of us.

He challenged us to try Level 8 when we come next time.


That's a horrifying thought. But I think I'll be game to try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr ng , this entry is really funny . I would love to go to where u dine too . It seemed like fun . This restaurant NOT only serve good food BUT it can strngthen the ties of friendship and all =) . come back soon MR ng .

The Mighty Thor said...

Hey Hazimah, how was your MT oral exam? Hope it went well for you. Yea, you're right, we had a great time together in that restaurant, especially as we were coming to the end of our in-camp training. Take care and I hope to see you and the class real soon.