Tuesday, August 14, 2007

About self-fulfilling prophecies and the power of your word

Today, I had an invigorating English lesson with 4e5.

The English Oral examinations, for them, is merely days away. Needless to say, I was more than ready to make sure that every single one of them is properly trained and given sufficient practice in class.


It is particularly heartwarming to have students coming up (in spite of their hesitancy, fear of making mistakes in front of others, watching and waiting for others to go first) to have authentic practice in front of me and my lovely fellow 'examiner', Janelle (yesterday it was elegant Izzianie who was my partner).

During moments when everyone seemed hesitant to sit in front of Janelle and I for the exam practice, I remember bellowing my voice at them saying, "For Heaven's sake, if I were you, I'd be thinking to myself that I should get myself seated on that chair, in front of Mr Ng, and get myself some useful practice!"





The class concurred that the picture discussion section of the oral examination was the most difficult for them.

Swiftly, I told them this, "Drop this attitude. Stop thinking that the picture is difficult. If you go into the exam room with the thinking that you won't do well, you most probably won't. If you think that you will be defeated even before the battle starts, you'll most probably lose."

My point to them is, positive thinking - even under impossible or challenging situations - can actually give you victory from the jaws of defeat.

What you say is what you get.

Confession IS possession.

Proclaim good things over situations in your life (even in the most dire of circumstances) and you will find that life will be easier on you.

I have given you a secret in living a victorious life, 4e5.


Applying this big idea to the picture discussion component, you will need to go into this exam with self-confidence.

I have given you tips. You have gone through the practice. You even know what the examiners are looking out for.

You are fully equipped to take on this exam.

I say to you: go into this exam, expecting to do well, with ALL your effort.

You can do well!




As a final word, your MT results, on the whole, hasn't been very flattering.

For those who have had that smug air about them, thinking that you would bag that A1 or A2, I hope reality has bitten you real hard.


There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you put in minimal results and put in sub-standard effort in your daily work, then do not say to yourself that you will score distinctions. It won't happen.


For those who are disappointed in your results, I say to you: move on, and get used to the fact that you need to study for your MT again.

It's important to reflect on your attitude in your studies. Sometimes, if you think real hard about it, there are changes that need to be made in the way you think towards studies, revision and exams.

Don't expect to get different results with the same old methods of revision. Improvise. Make sure the time spent on revision is effective and productive.

Switch off that mobile phone. Shut down the computer. Be alone if you need to. Just study!



You have less than 20 days before you start the Fajar exams. This will be the last school exams you will take.

You don't have much time.

Use the remaining days wisely, 4e5.



And you have my assurance that the 4e5 teachers will be here to help you in your quest for success, as you draw near to the big O.

No comments: