Sunday, August 02, 2009

Passing of a great man

While I was surfing a news website on my iPhone, I saw the news of Sir Bobby Robson's passing. I was stunned. Within the next 15 minutes I was reading through soccer websites and international news portals, and all carried the news.

I was saddened.

My admiration for him had its beginnings way back in Italia 90, when he managed England to the semi-finals - their best performance since their 1966 World Cup victory. No other manager after him has ever managed to come close to his success, and this speaks volumes of his quality as a manager.

But it was during my time in the UK that my respect for him was cemented. He was a genuine gentleman. Everytime he spoke on TV, I would listen to his words, his tone, and he was top class as a manager and as a person. He was sincere, lavish in praise for his players, gracious when his team lost, and withering to players who did not work hard.

I will always remember how, against all odds, he managed to bring back Newcastle United from seeming elimination from the Champions League (after losing their first 3 matches) to qualify for the 2nd round after winning the next 3 group games. No team has ever lost 3 group games and yet go on to qualify for the 2nd round.

Sir Bobby Robson was afflicted with cancer 5 times in his life. This cursed disease would have finished off a lesser man. But for Sir Robson to overcome cancer and endure the traumatic treatment 4 times magnified the fighting spirit and toughness within him.




Soccer legends and greats poured forth tributes to this giant with elevated praise and respect:

"In my 23 years working in England there is not a person I would put an inch above Bobby Robson. His character was hewn out of the coal face, developed by the Durham mining background that he came from. His parents instilled in him the discipline and standards which forged the character of a genuinely colossal human being." - Sir Alex Ferguson, manager of Manchester United


"Bobby Robson is one of those people who never die, not so much for what he did in his career, for one victory more or less, but for what he knew to give to those who had, like me, the good fortune to know him and walk by his side." - Jose Mourinho, manager of Inter Milan.



"First of all he was beyond football a great man, one of the kindest people I ever met. He helped me a great deal when I was a young coach and I visited him in Ipswich. He took me, an unknown coach from Sweden, down into the dug-out and explained the tactics. The year after Ipswich won the Uefa Cup, my team Gothenburg won it and he came and presented the trophy to me. When I became coach of England I called him many times and he was always generous with his advice and helpful. It seems he was as friendly to everybody as he was to me. In fact for me, he was the special one." - Sven-Goran Eriksson, former England manager.


"I was extremely saddened to hear of the death of Sir Bobby Robson. I had the privilege of meeting Bobby on many occasions. He epitomised everything that is great about football in this country. His passion, patriotism, dedication and professionalism knew no equal during his time both as a player and a manager. His remarkable achievements as manager of Ipswich Town and then of England are among the most distinguished in English football history, and he was able to replicate that extraordinary success during his time at PSV Eindhoven, Porto and Barcelona. Over the past few years, he fought cancer with his characteristic tenacity and good humour. He will be sorely missed - not only in Newcastle and Ipswich, both of whom he served with such devotion, but by all sports fans in our country. My sincere condolences go to his wife Elsie and his family." - Gordon Brown, British Prime Minister.


Like what Mr Mourinho said, Sir Robson will live forever, not just in the hearts of those with whom he had worked with or who knew him. Every football fan on the globe will greatly miss his presence in the game.

No comments: