Monday, August 03, 2009

Unscathed

It was horrible to read the headlines today, about a CEO who struggled during the swimming leg of the triathlon yesterday and passed away after that. My condolences to his family.

On a personal note, I took part in the Osim International Triathlon for the 3rd year running, but this time I signed up for the Mini category, instead of the Sprint. I figured that I needed to be more careful with my injuries, so the Mini was a very attractive option for me, otherwise it would have meant skipping the entire Osim Triathlon altogether.

I am thankful that I came through the 200m swim, 10km cycle and 2km run without any reactions to my body, and in fact, I enjoyed the event thoroughly. I remember smiling just before the air horn sounded. The scrambling into the waters, the waves hitting us over and over, underwater legs kicking out - oh they are so familiar.

I completed the event in under 45 mins, very leisurely and comfortable for me. I was able to go home for a good rest, before I got ready again for another run - the CSC Inter-Constituency Run at Bedok Reservoir.

I set no target timing for myself. Admittedly I was a little tired but felt good to do another run. Though the distance was about 4km, I knew I was able to complete it.

The run itself was better than expected, though it was scorchingly hot and there were no water points along the route, which was quite a disappointment.

But I was glad to complete the run. My back felt all right, and I was able to go home feeling very fulfilled and proud of myself.

But the best thing was, I met an ex-student of mine from Fajar. I think his name is Fadli, from 4T1. I remember seeing him in the same event last year, and it was definitely nice to meet him during the run this time.

I do miss teaching him and his class. I just hope they are all fine, enjoying school and paying good attention in class!

No comments: