Saturday, January 26, 2008

About what it should have been

The past few days haven't been very illuminating for me.


I cannot deny that the release of the O Level results kept my mind preoccupied for a great part of the week. My confidence rose and ebbed like the waves. It was always going to be tough to reject many colleagues and students who made morale-sapping comments like, "We're not gonna do well this year."



Anyway, I was glad to have Miss Kum by my side to give out the results slips to 4e5. We were very happy to see you in the hall. I wonder how have you been? I could not speak to all of you, as the Hall proceedings was really highly strung and emotional. It was hard to remain stoic under such circumstances.



To 4e5, I wish you all the best in your future endeavours. Your future remains bright, as long as you believe in yourself and think clearly about what you want to do. Some decisions are going to be difficult to make, but you must never be indecisive.


To those who are pleased with your results, well done. I believe that consistent hard work pays off, and in this case, I affirm this to be true, when I saw some of your results. The journey ahead will prove to be even more challenging and tricky, but just as you have succeeded before, you will also succeed in the future, so long you stay true to the values of diligence and hold fast to positive work ethic.


Some of you may be upset or bitter with your results. Some others might feel nothing in the immediate moments upon receiving your result slip. But the hammer falls hard, sometimes hours later, sometimes the very next morning, and the realisation dawns that you could have done better.


Regrets need not haunt you forever. Consider your options, and submit to the wrath of yourself and your parents.

But you need to move on. You need to make decisions - fast.

Stop playing the blame game.



Bounce back. This is the best way. Be resilient.

You can still get back onto the successful path. Do a reflection, find out how you can manage your time better next time.


Your self-confidence must never be diminished.




I will miss 4e5. We will all meet each other again. I know this for sure!





Another matter also hit me, like a sledgehammer, when I was still caught up in the tense moments of releasing the O Level results to my students.

My coach texted me to give an update on my boys' match against Nan Hua High School.

We lost by 3 points.


That was a blow that really hurt.


From then onwards, it became so much harder to retain that positive smile, when this result weighed like an anvil on my heart.



How I wished that the match could have been held on another day, so that I would fulfil both desires - to issue out the O Level results personally to my form class, and to be present (as I always want to) at this crucual match.





And as if the day couldn't seem to get any worse, it did.

In the evening, I went for the 1.5km swim trial at Yishun SAFRA, where I had to complete 30 laps under 40 minutes, in order to participate in the Biathlon that I have signed up for.

While I am very comfortable with running and sports games, I have never been an able swimmer.


My inexperience counts heavily against me. I rarely swim, and the last 2 swims happened in 2007, and that was during the Triathlons. Even then, it was only 750m in the choppy waters. I foolishly thought that the 1.5km swim in the calm waters of the swimming pool would be a piece of cake.


At my 26th lap, the instructor told me to hurry up. I sped up my breaststrokes, and kicked harder. I was not spent, but stamina cannot increase one's speed.


When I touched home, the instructor showed me the timing on his clipboard - 41 minutes.



Normally, I would be undeterred. I would tell myself, "Ken, it's not a problem. Just try it again."



But the day has been hard on me, emotionally, mentally and physically. I am emotionally spent, after Results day and the match result.


I just picked up the towel and walked off to the changing room.





The mood has hardly improved, though days have passed. Sometimes, I think to myself, "Could I have done more to push 4e5?"


This question, perhaps, will never be answered.

18 comments:

jan said...

hello mr ng!! you know what? i just realised that i can deduct 3 points off my R5 cause like, 2 for CCA points, and 1 cause i went for the first three weeks thing. meaning, my R5 is 15!!! haha :D

anyways, just to let you know that you've been an awesome teacher and i think you've pushed us alot. at least i think so!! like, whenever i really really 'tired' and start slacking, your lessons and talks to us somewhat motivates me to continue and finish off the last few months of studying. And yea, you were right, consistant studing pays off man!! Ultimately, thank God for pulling me through.

THANK YOU MR NG! We're all really wonderful superstars!!
[crap, i sound bimbo. but it's ok. haha :) ]

-jan

irah.sya. said...

hey there Mr Ng...

Dropping by just to tell you that you've pushed us alot and I can't deny that. Your hardwork does not only came in your lessons but also with your general knowledge and motivational & sharing stories of yours. Really, you inspired me alot! You did not even fail to push us becaise you already did!!

I just want to thank you for all your hardworks Mr Ng. You are just an inspiration to me. A teacher like you will never be forgotten by me. Will miss YOU, MS KUM and 4E5..


take care.
-irah

Unknown said...

hey mr ng !! =)
i'm intending to join the biathlon too !! but i did 30 laps in 45 mins. =(
haha.. too slow.
but will keep practicing ! u too ! =)
xingying.

The Mighty Thor said...

Hi Jan,

how's life in PJC? Enjoying yourself? JC life is always a bit different and always fun (that's what I remembered about my JC days). Yes, I think God's been faithful all this while, isn't it. And yes, congrats for getting 15 for R5!

The Mighty Thor said...

Hello Irah,

how are you? Where have you applied to, for your further studies? Yes it does take a little getting used to, not seeing you and the rest of the girls in front of me in my English class. You were always a very good girl. You take care and live your life to the fullest yea!

The Mighty Thor said...

Hi Xingying,

nice to hear from ya. OK you must jia you and train more ok! As for me, time hasn't been on my side, so I have not been training. I hope to give the trials one more shot though. Let's wish us the best of luck!

Mr Ng

Anonymous said...

MR NG!!! OMG!!! i didnt know tt you have blog too.. jus happen to see in annie's blog.. how have u been?? i miss de old sch days..

xuan said...

Hi there Mr Ng!! I really wanna say a big THANK YOU to you!! =) Just to let you know yisan, swee hong and I feel that we're really blessed to have you and miss kum as our class counsellor. It wasn't easy for us to go through everything again seriously.

There were times when we feel like giving up inside it's just that we didn't let it show on the outside. But because of your constant motivation, care and concern we somehow kept pushing ourselves till the end. I would say that all those talks that you gave us really realy motivated me a lot to carry on studying despite not seeing the results I wanted at that time yet.

So I really hope that you will still continue to share ur stories and continue to motivate like what you did to us, I'm sure students WILL BE MOTIVATED!! =)
Honesty speaking I think you have already done more than what you could for the class, you couldn't have done better seriously.

You will always be my source of motivation whenever I feel like giving up (dat's frm the bottom of my heart okay!!) Thank you so much and please takecare!! :)

P.S: Please link me in ur blog..? haha thanks a lot!!

Anonymous said...

hello mr ng, just dropping a note to tell you that i've deleted my blog already, so yea, it'll be nice if you could un-link me! :) don't have the time/motivation to update my blog since i've been keeping a personal one. my fingers are too lazy to type down what i wrote again. hahaha. oh, happy v-day to you and mrs ng :)hope the baby's doing fine!

janelle.

Azurrah said...

Mr ng, do link me up at zura-loves-puma.blogspot.com. Thank you.

The Mighty Thor said...

Hi Peixuan,

it's great to hear from you. Wow, I think you did well for the O Levels and you really deserve it. Really proud of you. And yes, I've got you linked up. Take care!

The Mighty Thor said...

Hi Zura,

how's you? And yes, you're re-linked!

The Mighty Thor said...

Hi Jan,

how are you? doing ok in PJ? Hmm, I thought you had a good blog going! But yea, you're right, it's really hard to maintain a blog sometimes... it's either you've got no time or we'd just rather do something else than update. You take good care and keep in touch. May the good Lord bless you and keep you in good health.

The Mighty Thor said...

Hello Huiping!

What you only just realised I've got a blog? How have you been? And I have no idea Annie has a blog... I mean, who else in 4T1 has a blog?

Anonymous said...

Mr Ng , I'll officially start my private school tomorow ! I really cannot wait to feel the new environment ! AND this time , I'll do my ultimate best , and I won't ever EVER forget what you have taught for the pass 2 years of english lessons ! I will definately make FULL use of it . =D , and MR NG , RELINK ME hee . Sorry and thanks
www.oh-comefindme.blogspot.com
take care mr ng !!

洪玮祾 said...

Mingli and I are lucky to have you as our friend. We'll be blessed & protected by having you and XL praying for us :) Thank you and take care!

J.kaiLing said...

Mr ng, heard from mr yong that you're on ML today. Get well soon. One great teacher you are.

Anonymous said...

yo mr ng..weekiat here..long time no see n how have u been?i want to thank u for the great times we have in sec sch n wat u have taught 4e5 =D..ur lesson on the CVs have help me alot in my poly life and also what other teachers taught.thkq for teaching me and i m sure that whichevr class taught by u is bless =D..seeya soon..